How Do We Love People More?
It would seem to me that the desire to love people more resides in every human heart and especially the hearts of those that call themselves Christians. The challenge is to cultivate that innate sense of love towards others so that it develops over time, rather than shrinks.
The Bible calls us to love people as God has loved us (see 1 Cor 13:4-8), both those people we like and those we don’t, a challenge indeed!
May I suggest there are at least 4 ways to helps us love more;
1. To seek after the Father’s Heart
- By asking Him to reveal more of His heart to us (prayer)
- By reading those verses in the Bible which help us to understand God’s love (eg John 3:16-17, 1 John 4:7-12, Rom 5: 6-8, 2 Peter 3: 8-8)
- By pondering the stories of Jesus where he shows us God’s love (eg Luke 13:34, Matt 14:13-14, Luke 23:34)
2. By seeking to see the God given potential in every human being
- Recognise that every Human Being was creatively and specifically designed by God (Ps 139:13-18)
- Remember that God desires all people to come to know Him (2 Pet 3:9)
- Remember that God has plans and purposes for every individual (Jer 29:11)
3. By seeing that everybody needs a Saviour
- All have sinned all fall short of God’s glory (Rom 3:23)
- Sin has separated us from God (Rom 3:9-18)
- Our temporary human needs are nothing compared to our eternal needs (Mark 8:36)
4. By being part of and remaining part of a Local Church
- Being planted in the House of God is as vital to a Human Being’s fulfillment as anything (Ps 1, Ps 92:12-15)
- We can’t do it on our own! (Heb 10:24-25)
- We all have a part to play in God’s plan… we’re better together! (1 Cor 12:12-31)
So let’s commit to doing our part in learning to love people more. Let’s resolve to put into practice some of these practical points so that by our love, people might know God’s love.